Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Club of One

After abandoning a book (I know, I feel bad about it) I am back on track with a GOOD book! I started reading State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and just could not get into it. It seemed to drag on and on without anything really happening. It had amazing reviews but I guess that doesn't mean EVERYONE is actually going to love it and since I had maxed out my renewals, I decided that I didn't care to continue... it's not fun forcing yourself to pleasure read.

I forgave myself and moved on to The Midwife: A memoir of birth, joy, and hard times by Jennifer Worth. By page 33 I was already into it and loving it!

It takes place in 1950's England and follows the life of a midwife in training (the author) at the local convent. It's a quick read and would be enjoyable for anyone who likes to read about history. The cockney dialect is funny and interesting to me and this book incorporates it without making reading too difficult.

The back blurb:

An unforgettable story of the joy of motherhood, the bravery of a community, and the hope of one extraordinary woman
At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in post war London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies all over London-from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lives to the woman with twenty-four children who can't speak English to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side-illuminate a fascinating time in history. Beautifully written and utterly moving, The Midwife will touch the hearts of anyone who is, and everyone who has, a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment