Friday, January 4, 2013

New Years 2013

This year for New Years (pre-Morgan!) Collin's dad and Ruthie came out to visit us. It was more like a combined Christmas/New Years visit really. I worked for the first couple of days but after having their flight delayed all through Christmas day (how horrible!) they finally made it in on the 26th and I only missed them for a day or so. That Friday was my first day off for my self-made holiday break so we all headed up to Steamboat Springs.

We were prepared!

Tons of snow on the way in

The first night, since we drove all day, we brought our stuff inside and then went to dinner at The Tap House.

The next day we all went skiing/snowboarding at the mountain. The snow was amazing and I was excited since it was my first day out this season! I wasn't aware but apparently Steamboat is known for their "Champagne Powder." And they had just been dumped with a bunch of it! It was so good, in fact, that I was exhausted by lunch time. My legs were burning and my boots were hurting. We all met up for our packed lunches and bloody marys and because I am out of shape I decided to ski the green runs with Ruth for the next two hours until we were ready to head home.

Me! This run was soo steep but the snow was so soft!

I really didn't get too many good pictures. Go figure!

That night we ate at Carl's Tavern. We went the night before and walked in and asked how long the wait for 4 would be...the girl responded 8pm...I asked what time it was right now...5:00. we made reservations for the next night.

It was delicious! We started with oysters...really great for Colorado...and we each had an awesome meal as well.

The next morning Collin and I headed out to snowmobile bright and early. Ruth and Heister took a day off and went to lunch and a movie. Snowmobiling was awesome as well! My first time on my sled!

That's Collin (aka Evel Kinevel) on his sled

Fields of snow!

Beautiful view

So much snow!!

This huge snow cat hold skis/snowboards on each side and skiers inside in a heated little area. It takes them up to backcountry skiing and then they provide a meal in a nearby cabin. We really want to try it if we ever come back to Steamboat!

Catching a nap

My favorite picture!!!

Our whole group!


Our friend Mari

ME on my little sled!

Blurry me bedded in the powder

A little "crash" video of a guy we met out on the trail...

It was fun! And the snow was deeeeeeep! Only my right hand was sore after that long day. The space between my throttle and my handle is too wide for my hand so after 6+ hours of squeezing and steering at the same time my hand was so dead!

We packed up our sleds and gear and headed back to meet Heister and Ruth. We also planned to meet up for a drink with our friends Jake and Mari later that night. My stomach hadn't been feeling well for the past day or so but that was it so I was just trying to ignore it but by the time we got to the restaurant I was feeling too sick to stay out. Collin took me home and I slept until morning. I felt muuuuch better by then, thank goodness.

On our third day, which was New Years Eve, Ruth and I relaxed all day and made a few errands while the guys took the snowmobiles out for another spin. That night we had reservations for dinner at Cottonwood Grill. As we were all getting ready to go out Ruth started getting the stomach bug and decided she should stay in for the night. The rest of us met a small group of our friends at the restaurant and had another fantastic meal!! I had the Cambodian Hot Pot...sort of comparable to a French bouillabaisse...a coconut milk based broth full of delicious seafood!

After dinner we headed down the street to another restaurant/bar for a drink. It ended up being more like a club and Heister was way over it! Everyone was tired anyway so we parted ways and went home to ring in the new year!

WOOO! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!'s not even 10pm yet....

As predicted, none of us made it to midnight! Well, I woke up just before it happened and woke Collin up. He wasn't thrilled because "it already happened, this is a re-run from the East coast." Uhhh yup. Party pooperrrrrr!

The next morning Ruthie still wasn't feeling 100% so she left early in the morning with me (I was on my way to get Morgan!!). The guys packed up the sleds and the rest of our stuff and headed out just behind us.

A great New Years get away for sure! And always great to have visitors!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Here's to a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment